Let’s talk real talk about glossies. Do you subscribe to a lot of magazines? Do people still read magazines? Maybe you’re and iPad person… or you’ve got the app. I subscribe to exactly one, only because somehow I clicked auto-renew somewhere on the internet five years ago and I don’t know how to turn it off. I read quite a few mags on a regular-ish enough basis that economically I should totally just subscribe but I can’t seem to bring myself to.
WHY? Because I can’t run the risk of being forever behind on magazines. I just. Can’t. They keep coming everything month and you’re busy or bored or don’t feel like it or in the middle of a good book and just don’t get around to it, and then all of the sudden you’re in the throes of being overwhelmed by the stack on your coffee table that you have to get through before the next month’s slew arrives! I mean, shit, like it’s a job or something. So I choose to take the passive route and pay by the issue, which ultimately costs more dollars but feels better because it feels like a treat or a luxury because you’ve made the choice to bring them home. Consider it my donation to viva la print Hearst & Martha, keep on keepin’ on.
Let’s talk about who makes the cut.
- Elle Decor: This is the lone leftover from my years where I got really into shelter mags. I still read it sometimes because I love looking at expensive things but most months in goes unread BECAUSE I’M STRESSED I NEVER READ THE PREVIOUS ONE.
- Harpers Bazaar: I love this one, the layouts are good, the writing has a nice voice. I follow a few of the editors on twitter that I quite like, I should totally subscribe because I buy it most months.
- Nylon: Cute mag, different layouts, fun fashunz, I buy it when I want to look at something different or I’m at the one Duane Reade by me that stocks it. Bonus, neon.
- The Gentlewoman: Splurge! This was like $20 at the magazines of the world store, but I mean, I had to have it I work really hard I deserve nice things. I haven’t read it yet so no spoilers.
- beSpoke: Total impulse buy, I was in the mood to buy exclusively fancy mags and the photography is gorgeous. We’ll see.
- Real Simple: I buy exclusively the really really good covers, which is generally about two or three a year. I mean, they’re all great and the shoot styling and photography is wonderful but the content doesn’t hit home for me really.
- Marie Claire: Oh Marie Claire, I had actually never read this mag but their September issue was super good this fall so I started picking it up occasionally. I like the inside, but the covers are pretty not-great and I made the mistake of following them on Twitter. Their social voice is very Seventeen Magazine and they tweet A LOT so I’m on the meh fence.
- Vanity Fair: The editorial features in Vanity Fair are the best. It reads like a book and they always cover things I like reading about. I almost never buy it though, high forever behind behavior risk.
Mostly I read magazines for the layouts, the editorial sweet pics, and the smell — I’m a sucker for that shiny smell.